Minimum is a Y Combinator backed start-up, founded to tackle the biggest challenge currently facing humanity: how to get to the world to net zero carbon emissions before it's too late. We're doing this by allowing businesses to start producing climate positive products in minutes. Businesses simply need to submit their product/business info through our easy API or through our Carbon Control Centre, and that's it. We automatically calculate the associated emissions, and neutralise the impact through high-quality offsets. At the same time, we show businesses where they can best reduce emissions, and we show consumers the emissions profile of what they're buying - for the first time democratising an understanding of sustainability, like calorie information did for food.
Engagement with Sustainability has never been higher, which is a great start, but it is still so difficult to do effectively - particularly for smaller players. The world desperately needs accessible tools that allow businesses, individuals, investors, and governments to understand carbon emissions in sufficient depth to help them budget emissions, plan how to reduce, and, in the meantime, immediately start reducing their impact through carbon offsetting. Minimum is building the tools to help people get started today. By working with these companies to understand their emissions we are also building the most significant cross-industry dataset on carbon emissions that has ever existed. This will become the backbone of sustainability solutions of the future.
This is the first senior hire outside of Minimum's initial co-founders. Your role will be to own absolutely everything 'design' at Minimum - and we mean design in the broadest sense. There will plenty of opportunities for creating beautiful UI, web assets and commercial materials but more than that, we want this role to be able to bring a creativity of thought to absolutely everything we do at Minimum. This includes: design thinking to help us shape our product features & roadmap; deep UX on how customers think about, and interact with, Minimum and sustinability more broadly; and creating an aesthetic and tone for Minimum which goes beyond a simple Brand Book and helps shape the way customers think about sustinability more broadly (e.g. how do create a visual identity for sustainability without resorting to a stock image of a polar bear?).
This role reports to the Co-founder who leads Engineering & Product (Chris), but you'll most certainly you'll interact frequently with all three co-founders. Design is something that we, as a founding team, take very seriously and we need a seasoned professional to help us execute on our shared vision while pushing & challenging our thinking. Therefore this role is an incredible opportunity for the right person to take significant ownership and have large amounts of control over the direction of the product, brand and, ultimately, the business.
Location: Remote or In-person
You'll be one of our very first hires, working closely with Minimum's three co-founders:
- Freddie Evans is our CEO. Prior to Minimum, Freddie was a founding employee at Venture Capital fund Augmentum Fintech. Before that, Freddie was a strategy consultant at Boston Consulting Group (BCG), specialising in eCommerce for Retail, and at BCG Digital Ventures, focusing on sustainability projects. Freddie has a degree from the University of Oxford.
- Chris Winchurch is our CPO / CTO, leading our Product & Engineering teams. Prior to Minimum, Chris was a Consultant at the Boston Consulting Group (BCG), specialising in data-heavy Consumer projects. Chris has a Masters in Electrical Engineering from Imperial College London, and dropped out of a Harvard MBA to co-found Minimum.
- Freddie Green is our COO, leading Operations, Data & Science teams. Prior to Minimum, Freddie worked as an operations consultant at Newton where he specialised in using data to drive value for clients across industries. Freddie has a first-class Masters degree in Physics from the University of Oxford, where he specialised in Climate Science.
The skillset - Must haves
- 5+ years experience as a professional designer, ideally working for customers in the tech space (bonus points for experience at early stage startups).
- A passion for making sustainability engaging for everyone.
- A strong desire to create extremely high-quality design & experiences.
- Deep practical knowledge of design tools like Figma.
- Experience building/maintaining a scalable design system in Figma or equivalent.
- Strong communication skills.
- Comfortable owning and leading the end-to-end design process of new features and iterations for existing features (working closely with Product Lead & Enginering Team).
- Experience performing all functions of that process, including user research, product strategy, wireframes, prototypes, documentation, and user testing.
The skillset - Nice to have
- Previous experience in a senior design role at a early-stage, high-growth startup.
- Experience working closely with developers to create pixel-perfect front-end UI using products like Storybook and Contrast.
- Experience optimising conversion for B2B sales landing pages.
- Strong experience with UX research, particularly with helping users quickly form mental models of a system, to answer questions such as:
- How can an eCommerce customer glance at our widget and quickly understand that, if they choose, their money will be sent to a carbon offsetting project to offset the emissions of the product they're about to buy?
- How can we communicate trust & assurance ("This really is carbon neutral") while maintaining the simplicity of our proposition ("It's a single snippet of code!")?
- Experience using analytics (e.g. Google Analytics, FullStory, Mixpanel) to drive product & website design decisions.
- Experience with publishing software, e.g. InDesign
Within one month at Minimum, you'll:
- Understand the Minimum product (past, present, and future) inside-out.
- Work closely with the Product lead to establish optimal ways-of-working.
- Hit the ground running against some of the "design debt" we've accumulated, e.g. iterating product designs (Dashboard, Widgets, Badges), finalising marketing website, "levelling-up" our brand.
Within three months at Minimum, you'll:
- Have re-invigorated the Minimum brand with a strong visual style and aesthetic
- Be working collaboratively with the founding team to identify and solve user, product, and business problems.
- Be creating commercial materials to support in Sales processes, e.g. sales decks, one-pagers, whitepapers.
Within six months at Minimum, you'll:
- Be helping drive the Product team to practice continuous improvement to give Minimum's products as much Butter as possible.
- Be honing the Minimum brand into a holistic identity that we use to relate to our customers.
- Be involved in the creation of Minimum's marketing strategy, which will span from traditional channels like LinkedIn through content marketing to fun / novel pieces of marketing (e.g. a shareable quiz / competition).
Within twelve months at Minimum, you'll:
- Identify any areas where we need to evolve our overall design strategy / capability.
- Start leading your own design team as we build out the above.
- Be at the forefront of shaping how businesses, and society more broadly, think about the intersection of we can use tech to integrate sustainability into our lives.
Interested in applying? Email [email protected] with your CV & a few sentences about why you're interested in the role, with the email subject "Founding Designer (Head of Design) Application".