Minimum is a Y Combinator backed start-up, founded to tackle the biggest challenge currently facing humanity: how to get to the world to net zero carbon emissions before it's too late. We've raised a $2.6 million Seed round lead by Octopus Ventures to build the sustainability solutions of the future centred around a tool for understanding the carbon footprint of everything.
Our mission is for everyone to always know the carbon footprint of every product and service they buy and sell - for the first time democratising an understanding of sustainability, like calorie labels did for healthy eating.
The first step on this journey is creating the simplest and most effective tools for a business to calculate and manage their carbon footprint. This already includes:
- An API for carbon calculations and automated offsetting
- Plug-and-play integrations to display traceability information on e-commerce sites and offsetting options in the checkout flow - see example here
- A self-serve tool to begin to understand a business's footprint
- A dashboard to manage all the above and track progress towards net-zero
Engagement with Sustainability has never been higher, which is a great start, but it is still so difficult to do effectively. The world desperately needs accessible tools that allow businesses, individuals, investors, and governments to understand carbon emissions in sufficient depth to help them budget emissions, design reduction strategies, and, in the meantime, immediately start reducing their impact through scientifically-proven carbon offsetting. Minimum is building the tools to help people get started today. These tools will bring sustainability action into reach for everyone, in a highly scalable way, thereby closing the gap between sustainability engagement and sustainability action.
You would be one of the very first hires outside of Minimum's co-founders, so the opportunity will share lots of similarities to starting a company yourself! Your role will be to get stuck in calculating carbon footprints, building our technical footprinting capabilities, working with the Product team to deliver automation to our customers, and growing the Sustainability team. It's highly likely that you would progress in seniority quickly.
You are joining a tight-knit, fast-paced team where everyone knows and cares about each other and what they're working on. You'll report to the Freddie Green, our Co-founder who leads Data & Science - but it's likely that you'll interact very frequently with all three co-founders and the wider team.
You'll be one of our first hires, working closely with Minimum's three co-founders:
- Freddie Evans is our CEO and leads our Commercial team. Prior to Minimum, Freddie was a founding employee at Venture Capital fund Augmentum Fintech. Before that, Freddie was a strategy consultant at Boston Consulting Group (BCG), specialising in eCommerce for Retail, and at BCG Digital Ventures, focusing on sustainability projects. Freddie has a degree from the University of Oxford.
- Chris Winchurch leads our Product & Engineering team. Prior to Minimum, Chris was a Consultant at the Boston Consulting Group (BCG), specialising in data-heavy Consumer projects. Chris has a Masters in Electrical Engineering from Imperial College London, and dropped out of a Harvard MBA to co-found Minimum.
- Freddie Green leads our Data & Science team. Prior to Minimum, Freddie worked as an operations consultant at Newton where he specialised in using data to drive value for clients across industries. Freddie has a first-class Masters degree in Physics from the University of Oxford, where he specialised in Climate Science.
The Skillset - Essentials
All (or some) of the following:
- 3-5+ years of experience in carbon calculation, including regular customer-facing interactions (brownie points if you've been regularly involved in business development)
- Experience developing stakeholder engagements including building and managing long-term client relationships
- Experience using Economic Input-Output data and models
- Experience doing product hotspots analysis ideally in a range of industries
- Experience evaluating business carbon footprints and/ or reporting on these in line with globally recognised standards
- Familiarity with LCA databases (e.g. ecoinvent)
The Skillset - Brownie points
All (or some) of the following:
- Knowledge of different product manufacturing sectors (consumer goods, automotive, fashion, furniture, electronics) with insights on their sustainability and wider supply chain challenges
- Familiarity with LCA standards & guidelines e.g. GHG Product Standard, GHG Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Standard, PAS 2050, ISO 14067
- Familiarity with Business Assessment standards e.g. The GHG Protocol Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard, The Corporate Value Chain (Scope 3) Accounting and Reporting Standard
- Familiarity with reporting and disclosure standards e.g. CPD Reporting, TCFD Reporting
- Experience in using life cycle assessment software
- Academic experience, especially if you have published research papers on any topic (and double points if it's relevant to sustainability!)
What is the role going to look like - from day one you'll:
- Produce high-level product carbon footprint calculations and estimates. For example:
- Emissions of each meal for an upmarket ready-meal provider
- Emissions of each item for the range of a medium size fashion retailer using Higg MSI
- Emissions per gigabyte of video streamed for a specific hosting provider
What is the role going to look like - in the first year you'll have:
- Worked along side the founding team to build out Minimum's Carbon Consulting team (we are looking to grow the team and hire an additional 1-2 people over the first 6 months, and significantly more over the next 24 months as we scale rapidly)
- Helped steer the development of our cutting-edge internal tools and knowledge systems, which we use to calculate and understand the carbon footprints of products & businesses
- Built your public presence as an expert in the carbon calculation world - whether that's publishing blogs or speaking on expert panels
Interested in applying? Email [email protected] with your CV & a few sentences about why you're interested in the role, with the email subject "Senior Sustainability Consultant Application".